" Amenhotep I - Thutmose I " from New Kingdom in ancient Egypt

" Amenhotep I - Thutmose I " from New Kingdom in ancient Egypt
 " Amenhotep I - Thutmose I " from New Kingdom in ancient Egypt

Amenhotep I

Amenhotep I, Ahmose’s son and successor " ruled c. 1514–1493 BCE", pushed the Egyptian frontier southward to the Third Cataract, near the capital of the Karmah (Kerma) state, while also gathering tribute from his Asiatic possessions and perhaps campaigning in Syria.

The emerging kingdom of Mitanni in northern Syria, which is first mentioned on a stela of one of Amenhotep’s soldiers and was also known by The name of Nahrin may have threatened Egypt’s conquests to the north.

  The New Kingdom was a time of increased devotion to the state god Amon-Re, whose cult largely benefited as Egypt was enriched by the spoils of war. Riches were turned over to the god’s treasuries, and as a sign of filial piety, the king had sacred monuments constructed at Thebes. Under Amenhotep I the pyramidal form of the royal tomb was abandoned in favor of a rock-cut tomb, and, except for Akhenaton, all subsequent New Kingdom rulers were buried in concealed tombs in the famous Valley of the Kings in western Thebes. Separated from the tombs, royal mortuary temples were erected at the edge of the desert. Perhaps because of this innovation, Amenhotep I later became the patron deity of the workmen who excavated and decorated the royal tombs. The location of his own tomb is unknown.

Vegetable soup


 

Thutmose I

" Amenhotep I - Thutmose I " from New Kingdom in ancient Egypt
 " Amenhotep I - Thutmose I " from New Kingdom in ancient Egypt
Lacking a surviving heir, Amenhotep I was succeeded by one of his generals, Thutmose I (ruled 1493–c. 1482 BCE), who married his own full sister Ahmose. In the south, Thutmose destroyed the Karmah state. He inscribed a rock as a boundary marker, later confirmed by Thutmose III, near Kanisa-Kurgus, north of the Fifth Cataract. He then executed a brilliant campaign into Syria and across the Euphrates River, where he erected a victory stela near Carchemish.

Thus, in the reign of Thutmose I, Egyptian conquests in the Middle East and Africa reached their greatest extent, but they may not yet have been firmly held. His little-known successor, Thutmose II (c. 1482–79 BCE), apparently continued his policies.
 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post